Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 AM
rexie

Default couch quilt

I always use the Trip around the world pattern and cut my squares 4 1/2" and then use 3 different sized borders. that makes a couch quilt that is approx. 62 X 70. I use 5 fabrics and pick out things that frame their lives and likes. I try to find a fabric representing their line of work, one for family, if they like dogs or cats, one for faith and one for their hobby.

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Hi!

Both my mother and my MIL will be moving to assisted living in the next few months. I'd like to make each of them a throw-size quilt to use when they are sitting. I thought they might like the 30's - 40's reproduction fabric since each of them grew up during that time. Thought it might remind them of their moms and grandmas and snuggling up next to them under a nice quilt.

I've picked up quite a bit of the fabric in the last year or so, thinking I might make a quilt for myself, but I think I'd like to do these first. I'm wondering what pattern would be vintage-looking but easy, so I can do them before Christmas. This is in addition to all the other projects I have sitting around! I'm sure some of them can wait, though, and I don't know how long the moms will be able to wait. Some people adjust very well, but others don't, as you know. Also, my MIL is developing dementia - very mild now, but???

So, can you give me some suggestions? Also, to get them good and crinkly looking, would you suggest plain cotton batting? I was thinking 80-20 or 50-50, because they both get so cold. Or I could use wool, but I need to be sure neither is allergic (my husband is).

Speaking of hubby, he will be away for about 5 days this week (with his mom - I go see my mom next week). So, I thought I could just pound these quilts out!

Thanks for all your help!