View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 06:47 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I like W&N 100% cotton batting. The only thing I'd use besides that for a bed quilt would be washable wool.

In my experience, the shrinkage issue can be reduced in 2 ways:
1) Make sure to only wash in cold water & only dry on No/Low heat or lay flat to dry.
2) Quilt farther apart (check your batting about how closely together it needs to be quilted)

I also pre-soak my batting to help shrink it a little bit before I quilt with it. I do use poly batting for home decor items & wouldn't have an issue making a wall quilt with it unless I had put a lot of work into piecing/applique. I've always been told that any time you start mixing and matching materials (cotton fabric with poly batting, for example), it makes it slightly less durable. I believe that to be true, but sometimes you just really want to get something done without spending every last penny you have on materials. I made a table runner about a decade ago with poly batting & a poly-cotton thread. Recently, I started having some issue with it when I pulled it out of the dryer, but I guess for what I spent making it, 10 years is a pretty good run. And I think I can probably re-quilt/re-bind the problem areas & get some more life out of it.
Just an FYI--if you are taking quilts to a long armer, be sure to let them know whether you are ok with them using poly thread like So-Fine or Glide or Trilobal on your cotton quilts. I'm going to guess that your table runner, if used like mine are, is more the "victim" of being 10 yr old, being laundered and placed in dryer, sunlight ?, than it is a result of a combination of materials.