View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 05:10 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by Zinda View Post
Being short, too, I have a difficult time with getting a sewing cabinet that's a good height. If I raise my chair up, I have trouble reaching the foot pedal. In my next life, I'd like to be six feet tall!
Could you put your pedal up on a block of some kind?

I'm exactly average height, I think, but I think my legs are shorter than average for my height because I have trouble reaching my pedal sometimes too. I've fixed things up since I got an adjustable table that I could set lower, but for awhile there with my old table, I took a brick we had laying around, wrapped a towel around it (to protect my bare toes, and to give the velcro on my pedal something to grab) and put my pedal on top of that. The brick was nice and stable and it was just high enough that it put the pedal in easier reach.

I think I have a good set-up now, but I still catch myself hunching my shoulders when I'm quilting. I don't think it's my station as I ONLY do it when quilting (not during piecing or any other sewing), I think it's me stressing about the finishing stages of the quilt and clenching my shoulders up. I used to do that when I was a new driver, too.