Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Macra

I know of these as snippets quilts, but I see when I tried to find a link that that word is now used for fusible applique quilting.
Oh well.

The quilts I know of are made from little pockets, maybe 4 x 4 " or 6 x 3", and they're stuffed with the threads and snipped off bits of fabric that collect when we sew. The little pockets are simply half filled and the ends tucked in and stitched down. When you have a couple of dozen or so, stitch them togther. Makes a neat tidy quilt using stuff that would otherwise go to the bin.
You can also make them by folding over a length of fabric and stitching lines down it to create a row of pockets. Once filled the whole row is sealed at together. it's a quick way if you have loads of snippets to use up.

Since the snippets are basically scrap quilts the pockets can be made from anything, from old teatowels to polycotton pillowcases and sheeting that's still sound.....like the sides of fitted sheets. I make them using up the offcuts from dressmaking.

They make comfortable play mats for children, good pads for garden furniture, great for cats and dogs to curl up on too.

I sew a bundle of the little pockets and keep a couple beside my sewing machine. When I cut threads they end up in a wooden bowl that I keep beside me on the table. When it gets full-ish, I stuff the snippets and stitch them closed. It's surprising how quickly you can make a bag load of the little pillows, especially if you knit too and end up with wool ends to mix in with the sewing snippets too.

My last one keeps a basketmaking friend warm

M

Last edited by Macra; 10-14-2014 at 11:30 PM.