Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Glenn

Originally Posted by Susanmarie View Post
Thank you for your great tutorial, Glenn. Although the post is a couple of years old I hope I can ask a couple of questions.
If you intend to touch-up some of the decals do you apply shellac first, paint and then shellac again? or skip the first shellac application?
You mention before painting the pin-rash that a person should remove rust. Can you add details? If the japanned surface has eroded away in some places does one apply Evaporust in those areas first before painting? I'm just not sure how to prep before the painting step. Thank you, Sue
Yes I usually apply evaporust to the areas with a small artist paint brush and be sure not to get it on the decals. Then I use aniline dye( alcohol soluble) mixed with shellac to make a black paint. Paint only the the areas that need it and it make take several coats to make the blend. I touch up the decals with gold paint after cleaning and before shellac. After touch up then you can apply shellac to protect the repairs. It is never to late to ask questions and I am always around to help.
Skip