View Single Post
Old 10-28-2014, 07:21 PM
cathyvv

Sort of?

I took up quilting for two reasons. With my fibromyalgia/arthritis, there wasn't too much else I could do without setting off pain, plus I wanted to keep my brain active with something that was truly hard for me mentally - geometry. Happily, my geometric abilities are somewhat improved, so perhaps my brain really is getting a work out from quilting!

Both of those reasons were good enough to try quilting, but the creativity quilting unleashed is addictive!

I have spent $$ on quilting tools, but I don't think I'm too close to the average. I have a lot of fabric - way too much - and I often think that I quilt so I can buy fabric, instead of buying fabric so I can quilt. I've always loved textiles, just didn't realize how much until I started quilting.

However, when I start to feel like I can't go a day without sewing, I purposely don't sew for about a week. Otherwise, I would be, as one of my Drs, once said, "...either obsessively compulsing or compulsively obsessing." And that Dr wasn't even a shrink!

A side benefit of quilting (for me) is that I have lost my tendency to perfectionism, at least with regard to quilting! If every quilt I made had to be perfect, then none of my quilts would ever have been completed!

PS: My perfectionistic tendencies do not extend to house work!