View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 05:28 AM
Michellesews

I have a Bernina 440 without the emb unit and a Bernina 880 with embroidery. The 880 has had some issues, being that it is brand new and somewhat finicky so I use the 440 whenever the 880 (Diva) is having her issues. I really believe the 440 would work under water! That is the best machine, great to take to classes. She's a little heavy but that is because she has all metal parts. The Chicago 7 is a Bernette, it is not a Bernina and there is a world of difference! If I had to choose between just those two, it would be the 440 hands down. If you want a machine that is still being manufactured by Bernina, look at the 500 series. Remember, quality is not cheap but it will save you money and grief in the long run. If you sew a lot, get the very best you can afford, even if it means financing your machine. I've seen more potential seamstresses and quilters throw up their hands and quit because they had machines that constantly broke down or had tension issues, etc. With today's technology that is just not necessary. Go for quality, and yes, it always costs more. Just my opinion.