View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 03:44 PM
suern3

Originally Posted by CraftyRN View Post
Wow! Thanks, everyone. Starch (I use Best Press) seems like a great idea. Would I use it before stitching around the perimeter, or just some time before actually making my diagonal cuts? Or does it even matter?

Thanks again.
CraftyRN, just wanted to mention that I am a big fan of Best Press and have used it exclusively since I started making quilts 6 years ago. But, recently, I was making blocks using 1 1/2 inch squares, resulting in a 3 1/2 inch blocks and I was really struggling with them. That small, the tiniest variation throws everything off and I needed to make lots of them! Finally decided to try "starching the snot out of them" as I have seen recommended here I used Faultless Heavy Spray starch and found the "stiff as card stock" result! and it works. Spayed the fabric before cutting and then sprayed again while pressing those cute little 1 1/2 squares. The resulting squares were so accurate, I loved it! I spray the fabric and then wait a few seconds for it to soak in before pressing. I have not tried the method for HST that you are learning but I think the "severe" starching will help anything.