View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 09:41 AM
adamae

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
Do you think they were the very old ones - or the newer, reproduction feed sacks that were made about the late 70's or 80's ????? The colors just look very bright to me compared to some of the old ones in the quilts that I have here.
In Little Rock, we still had a feed and seed company that sold still in the 60's, 70''s and maybe 80's with material from the same time periods. As a retired antique dealer I can say I have handled feed/seed/flour/sugar sacks some with original paper brand labels that were obviously 60's or 70's and possibly 80's.
I was born 1934 the third of four girls in the middle of the depression/dust storm years.....we would tell/show Dad what feed sacks we wanted when he was to go buy feed in a rural western Kansas town so there might be enough for a dress. Each of us would pick out a print we liked and request how much we needed.
Learned to make tea towels with the cream colored ones. How I hated to make those tiny hems, Mom was so particular, not to mention my older sisters laughs at my early efforts.
I can remember yard goods being 25 cents a yard...