Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Dedemac

Been a interesting weekend. Don't want to touch much today, so far have split coffee into the clean and full dishwasher and then broke 2 needles. Time to do something else. So here is my contrubution to the cookbook.

Date Fry Pan Rice Krispie Cookie
1 stick margarine ( I use butter) ¼ lb.
¾ C. white sugar
1 Lb. Dates ( Cut-up)
1 beaten egg
1 tsp. milk (or ½ & ½ or heavy cream whatever you have on hand)
½ tsp salt
½ to ¾ cup chopped nuts ( I use walnuts, use whatever you like)
2 C. Rice Krispies
1 tsp. Vanilla
Coconut for rolling balls 6 to 8 oz.

Cook sugar, dates & margarine or butter over medium low heat in frying pan until melted and thick. Heavy cast iron pan is best or any regular pan. Note: A non-stick pan does not make this easier.
Once thick remove from heat and allow date mixture to cool a bit, in a small bowl beat egg milk salt and vanilla until mixed. When the mixture in pan has cooled but is still mixable, add egg mixture and return to heat, cook until thick and creamy about 4 to 5 minutes. (Should look light and fluffy, and should be easy to stir.) Remove from heat and add nuts stir well, add cereal and stir until combined. When cool enough to handle grease hands (I just grab a bead of butter) and form into balls then roll in coconut. Size of balls is up to person making them. I have made them from size of moth balls to size of golf balls. These freeze well and keep in refrigerator for weeks. I have made them almost every Christmas for over 30 years.

Kahlua

3 C. Water Warm
6 C. Sugar
2 oz. instant coffee
3 Tbs. Vanilla extract
4 C. Vodka

In pan over medium heat combine water and coffee stir until dissolved, add sugar stir until sugar is dissolved and comes to a boil, let cook two minutes on low boil. Let cool completely, add Vodka and Vanilla. Best if left to mature for a few weeks. (If you can let it alone.)

Weather was nice and warm for the last 2 days, driving past the lakes today was strange, fog over all the water looked kind of cool. Unfortunately when the temp starts to drop it is going to fall for the next 24 hours. Glad my DH got the lights up yesterday and finished all the outside stuff for winter. Prayers of all those who are in pain.