Thread: Who can draft?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 04:53 AM
Barb in Louisiana

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
Well said Lynnie....

I know lots of folks have and love computer programs....but i find the "tactile" use of pencil and graph paper helps me "think" better......that...... and i'm old and hard to retrain!!
Ironically, I do find it easier to draw out a block on paper. EQ is very specific on what it will let you do and not do when drawing out blocks. I work on a laptop and my skills on the touchpad are really bad. I have a very hard time with EasyDraw, which lets you draw much more ornate and complicated blocks. I usually use PatchDraw which is much the easier one for me.

In order to draw a block in EQ, you have to be able to recognize what the block really is. EQ has made me actually learn more about block structure and the sewing of it. I have used the method of drawing lines on a picture to find the block. Once again, I take the lazy way out and open the picture in Paint and draw the lines there.

EQ has no directions for the sewing, just the view of the block and the ability to print out templates, rotary cutting instructions or foundation piecing. It is really neat to design a quilt quickly and be able to see the results. I enjoy these little projects. I learn something with each one. I, also, do the DoYouEQ Challenge each month. My quilts are not near up to the level of the experts. The real benefit is that if you enter in the Challenge, you get a copy of all the other really nice quilts. Sometimes, I can't figure out what they did when I am looking at their EQ files. For me, so much to learn, but I'm working at it.

Happy Quilting to all. Barb