View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
HouseDragon

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I found out today that there are two blocks that aren't quite symmetrical, IIRC it's 15 and 19 - the corner motifs are mirror images. I ended up with one that is not and one that is because one was traced using a corner and the other I traced the entire motif, so got exactly what was there.

What surprised me the most was how much the outlining changed the look of the block. My "test" is cream, green and gold and I didn't like all the green - but after adding the outlining and the gold embroidery- the green is much less prominent and I really like it now.

I'm considering doing my hand applique blocks using a theme of gradient colors in each block instead of the more random nature of them. I'll have to look over my batiks to see if I'm missing colors.

It's kind of funny how we all tend to have our favorite colors and are attracted and buy them more often. I was putting together a color wheel and discovered I had nothing in the blue/purple area. Plenty in green/blue and the purple/red side. When I buy blue, I tend to like those shaded towards the green, and when I buy purple I tend to like those shaded towards the red.
Mahalo for the head's up!

My book arrived and it looks brand new: I bought it through Amazon at an excellent price. But I am shocked at the poor workmanship: the publisher should have used the author's version for a photo of the whole quilt (galloping by on a horse, you can only see the beauty) and had new blocks made for the individual block photos. A How-To section on applique would also be nice. I hope this book is republished because Affairs of the Heart is a spectacular quilt!

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do the Quilt-Along: my UFO basket became a box and is now entering the "omg, how am I going to finish all these stage". I'm really enjoying reading along with your adventures. I'm keeping an eye out for the perfect fabrics for my version and taking notes of all your so generously shared hints and tricks.

I'll probably use Eleanor Burns' method of doing applique. It worked beautifully for several mug rugs I made last year.

Is anyone else using her method?