Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
omak

Originally Posted by craftybear
Hi,

Wow awesome tutorial. I am a beginner quilter and would this be easy for a beginner???

I am making my 1st quilt now by Eleanor Burns , Quilt in a day series and the pattern is Lovers Knot. I took a class and made the top in one day, I am now quilting it by machine and hope to get it done this month.

Karen
This would be VERY easy for a beginner ... especially when one realizes that the block is made up of Half Square Triangles (HST) and solid blocks!
Isn't Patrice just so clever???
Anyway, if you are working with Eleanor Burns books, did she teach you how to make HST with two squares, draw a diagonal line from one corner to opposite corner
sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the drawn line
Cut on the drawn line after you have sewn those two lines
press open (usually to the darker) and VIOLA!
With two squares, two seams, you have sewn two HST without having to worry about bias ....
so, now ... I don't remember how many of the colored and white blocks you need, but say you needed twelve white and yellow HST ... you would cut SIX white squares, SIX yellow squares, sew that diagonal thing, cut in half . VIOLA!
TWELVE HST blocks.
If you want to practice, cut one square say: 3 and 7/8 inches
a different colored square the same size
this will give you a finished sized square of 3 inches
(I can't explain the math - -just memorize this fact:)
If you know the finished size of your HST, add 7/8 inch to that finished size ... and that is the size square you need to cut to use this technique.
I think you could do this block/pattern quite nicely. <wave>