View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 05:39 AM
moonrise

I found OBWs to be relatively easy, but, granted, I have quilting experience. If you're really determined to do this, I bet you can. First, practice with simple squares so you can get a feel for lining the pieces up, so that your intersections are nicely done, and so you can learn to sew an accurate, even seam. Once you've got that down pat, I'd recommend buying some inexpensive fabric for an OBW that has a "short" repeat (so you don't have to buy a lot of yardage), and practice with it first. Then you can see if an OBW is doable, without spending a lot of money.

Two tips: Be sure to sew the triangles in strips, rather than in hexagons. It's soooo tempting to put those pretty hexagons together right off the bat, but strips make them infinitely easier to sew. You will need a design wall of some sort. A simple sheet of styrofoam from Lowes will work. Just pin your pieces to it, and lay them out like you want. Also, I recommend that you DON'T pre-wash your fabric. It's much easier to work with straight off the bolt, when it's stiff and starchy.

The "cutebuns" tutorial someone posted earlier is how I learned to do them.