View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM
leighway

Originally Posted by AZ Jane
I truly love how everyone jumps on the "Post Office Stole It" wagon. If you have not worked in one of the big plants, you have no clue. The machinery all packages go thru would blow your mind. Add to that the lack of simple common sense when sending articles is mind boggling. No, one single piece of tape will not guarantee your package will not open. No, do not wrap your box like a Christmas gift. No, do not put a bow on top. Do not place in the same box that should have stayed under your tree. I know I have heard to put the address inside of the box since I was a kid and I'm 62.

Rant over.
I am SO GLAD to see this post!!! I used to work for UPS and have been in many of the hubs. Once I saw a 6 ft aluminum ladder with one leg literally curled up to the outside! that is the force of those packages going through the conveyor system and when the systems jam, people scurry sometime up 4 stories high to break the jam. Meanwhile, some people (not necessarily here!) package things as tho there's a package fairy who's going to twinkle and deliver the package. Taping everywhere isn't going to stop your package from breaking and falling apart in a jam. you'll still have the label and package but the fall-out could be anywhere, including still 4 stories up hooked on a part of the slide. It's the strength of the cardboard AND the security of the inside package, as well as the taping and the clarity of the labeling. And even then, remember the ladder. Things happen. I know that at UPS MILLIONS of packages were shipped daily and i would imagine the volume at the PO is higher. So, understand it isn't personal to you. Yes theft occurs, but you wouldn't BELIEVE the security in all the shipping service companies and that security is sneaky...so if there is a thief, he or she WILL be caught. So, package those boxes with strong cardboard and place a label with the item and then, even then, cross your fingers!