View Single Post
Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 AM
kiffie2413

Originally Posted by Nexxus831 View Post
Kan, I absolutely adore this quilt. How did you pick your colors? I would love to eventually one day try this. I do not see a thing wrong to issue a warning or give you a ticket. It looks perfect to me.
Sorry I didn't see your question. Even though I'm not a QB newbie, I'm still not great at knowing I have new replies to a thread.
By now you've probably made the quilt.. unless you're like me..lol

To pick the colors I used a very scientific approach:
I grabbed all the green fabrics from my stash, along with some purples, reds, pinks and "pinkishes" (that's a real word, in the Kifasaurus) I laid them out and I drove myself crazy-er deciding which ones to use. Lol..
Seriously, that's really how it went, until I finally just started sewing the blocks.

I mainly tried to not put the exact same shades/patterns close to each other, and I tried for enough contrast so the pattern "worked". Which looking at the pic, there are a couple I would've changed had I seen them at the time. I have been known to take out entire blocks and redo, but I'm trying to not do that so much anymore...
When I was laying all the kajillion hst blocks out amidst the nyb blocks I even coerced my hubby into helping me try to arrange them. But it got to where he was a tad too helpful (as in seeing where one was next to one just like it again, over and over) until I thanked him kindly and excused him from blod (block lay out duty). Finally I just said, This is it, and sewed them together.
I'd love to say it's all finished and quilted, but that would be a fib. So I won't say it .

My main advice I'll say again, as it was a big help: add an extra 1/4" to each piece of the nyb pattern. I did it on all but the outer arc, and I don't know why I didn't add it to it. That's why I had such a hard time squaring up my blocks..and why some have "pointy arcs" and some are a tad cut off on the edge.
So add that 1/4"!
Lastly, it just looks complicated.. I promise it's not. If I can make it, anyone can make it. If you can paper piece, and make a hst, you can make it.
After you make 1 nyb block, you'll have the hang of it.

Thank you all for your kind words, too.
And if I missed any questions, please pm me, and I'll help if I can.
Regards,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 01-18-2015 at 04:36 AM.