Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 AM
lclang

Unless you want to work 24/7 and not make much money I would not open a quilt shop. There are too many really good places to buy reasonably priced fabrics on line and all the good notions are available too. Fabric prices have risen over the last few years and you cannot compete with the big sellers who can do business on line and not pay rent, hire a lot of extra people, and perhaps pay taxes on a building (if you buy one). If you don't have a lot of money to invest I wouldn't do it. There is a really good quilt shop 50 miles from us in an area where there is lots of retirees and travelers and it has been for sale for years but no one wants to buy it because they are not making enough money to make it practical. The local quilt shop owner is hanging in there because she and Walmart are the only fabric sellers for many miles and I think they still depend largely on his income from his outside job. Also it is more than a full time job and you don't get any time to quilt for yourself. You would need to supplement with classes and perhaps online business in order to make it work.