Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
aggie98

I just started quilting last June with no previous sewing experience and no one to teach me. The first thing I made was a jelly roll race quilt top. It was super simple and was good practice sewing straight lines and 1/4" seems. I didn't have to worry about choosing fabric or cutting it, all I had to do was sew. It was a good test to make sure I would like doing it. Plus I had a finished quilt top in a fairly short amount of time.

The next thing I made was placemats. I picked up a package of fat quarters so this time I just added cutting the fabric to what I was learning. I just made 3in squares and sewed them together 6 across and then made 4 rows and then added a border. I didn't really follow a specific pattern but wanted something small to do the quilting on, and just stitched in the ditch to start. I think starting with something simple is good so they don't get overwhelmed. Once I finished those projects I did a the free 2012 Craftsy Block of the Month class which was great because I learned so many different techniques and I could go at my own pace. Good luck, I hope she loves it as much as I do!