Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewCraftyGirl View Post
Hi. You mentioned that you can't outline raw fused applique when quilting and that you had to quilt on the applique. Is this true for all raw edge applique? Or, does this comment not apply if you stitch down the applique after fusing but before quilting?

Thanks!
If the applique is stitched in any way after fusing (blanket stitch or satin stitch or even a zig zag) then I don't have to quilt inside it, I can ditch it. The stitching after fusing will help secure it. If you don't stitch in any way after fusing, then it is up to the quilting to help hold it down but it may fray around the edges. It all depends on how strong the fusible is and if the fabric was prewashed (factory sizing keeps fusible from making a secure bond). In the case of this quilt, the maker used an ultra light weight fusible called misty fuse and did not prewash. So the applique was coming up in places before I even put it on the rack. I even hit a few of the worst spots with the iron to refuse and it only worked temporarily. But because I stitched down ever single piece about 1/8 to 1/16" from the edge, it won't come up now. But if she ever washes the hanging, it could fray.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-02-2015 at 04:59 PM.