View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Macybaby

Got them all in strips ready to sew together.

I did have problems with the blocks I pieced together from top and bottom "scraps" Unfortunately those were about half the three fabric ones, which is most of what needs to be matched up! The problem was the "scrap" was already cut to width, so I didn't have wiggle room to deal with. Maybe some day my skills will be better, but for now I need wiggle room and then cut to size after I sew.

BTW- I trim both sides of the block cut from the diagonal. So if it looks like the left side of the block in the previous post is way off - it is!

I think if I did one like this in the future, I'd cut my diagonals a bit wider (like 2 5/8 instead of 2 1/2). I was really scrimping to have enough of the dark print (I even pieced some pieces to get enough ) and that didn't help things.

I am using these as "Learning Experiences" so though I'm trying to be accurate, I'm not super concerned about it - it's more to learn what does and does not work for me. My goal for this year is to try some new things and gain new skills.

I had just completed a set of blocks for a swap that uses the same basic block (Kansas Dugout). I made 11 of them, but since they are all going to different people, I did not worry about any secondary pattern. I may do a set of these for myself, and then I'd have to pay more attention to the colors in the corners. That would be a lot more challenging!

This is the hostess block - it's Rhonda's October 2014 design. Though I made one change, more because I made a mistake and decided it was fine so I left it that way.

Last edited by Macybaby; 02-08-2015 at 07:33 AM.