View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
DogHouseMom

Thanks everyone for your kind remarks.

For those with this quilt on your bucket list ... go for it! It's a very easy quilt to construct. There is only 1 block and you make as many of them as you need to, then just flip them in the direction you want. You can choose many different pattern settings that are typical with dark/light blocks (similar to Log Cabin). The one above (and Bonnies) are finished in Barn Raising setting, but the pattern looks equally well in Furrowed Rows and Set Blocks. I strongly suggest laying out your blocks into your setting in quadrants - take a photo and make sure you don't have a block flipped the wrong way. Yeah ... ask me how I know

The block itself is simple. 2 four patches and 2 HST's. Just make sure that within the block you have good contrast between the lights and darks. There are some places where I used a specific fabric as a light in one block, and a dark in another. Value is always subject to it's surroundings! So don't be afraid of using some fabrics that fall into a "medium" category. I did keep three piles of fabrics ... dark, light, medium ... and selected my mediums as either light or dark in accordance with the adjacent fabric.

For those of you who indicated you can never work with squares that small. You can make this pattern in any size you want!! I cut 2" squares for my four patch blocks and matched to 3.5" HST units. To me ... these were LARGE squares. I like to work with small pieces

It's a great "leaders and enders" quilt, and a great quilt to make a little, store while working on something else, then pick it up again at any time.

Again I want to thank the fellow QB'ers who I swapped and traded with. I never ... EVER ... buy "novelty" fabrics. Every single novelty fabric you see in this quilt came from someone else. I have to admit that it was great fun to use them, although I doubt if I would ever use them in anything other than a scrappy quilt like this. My 20 year old step-son was staying with us while I was laying all the blocks out for this quilt, and he was amazed that you could make a pretty quilt that had; cows, hearts, guitars and light houses in the same block!!

Thanks again everyone.