View Single Post
Old 02-14-2015, 10:01 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
If all you have is a mat and the cutter, no wonder you are not happy with it. Get a latex ruler, maybe 3 x 18 or 6 x 24 inches, and use that on the mat with your cutter. There are many online videos that demonstrate how to use a rotary cutter and ruler. It's so much faster and more accurate than scissors!
I agree, but it will be a plastic, not latex, ruler(I am guessIng that this is what she meant though). I had only the 24x6.5 ruler to use with my rotary cutter for years and made lots of quilts with just the one. I have over time acquired several others as I made quilts that they would make easier. Don't just go buy a bunch, wait until a certain one is needed. That is much more efficient use of resources. The second one I bought was a 12.5 square ruler to check blocks for square. These are still the two I use most. I have recently discovered "Glo tape" for making temporary lines on my rulers for cutting certain sizes repeatedly, makes cutting much faster since I don't have to squint to see the lines as I cut.