View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Friday1961

Since I began making my own clothes eons ago, I've tended to buy fabric I fell in love with, not yet knowing what I would do with it. So, it's no surprise that when I took up quiltmaking a few years ago, and first heard the word "stash" that I began buying quilting fabric (cotton) that I couldn't resist, not yet knowing what it would be used for. But I've now stopped that. Space is one reason; I just don't have room. Another is time. I don't want to leave a hoard of fabric that will some day end up in a cardboard box at an estate sale. (The idea of an estate sale of things I loved is depressing enough).

So I've put a moratorium on fabric buying and now buy only if I need something for a current project....well, except for the yard of dragon fabric and coordinating prints I bought last week.... But, seriously, I'm working my way through what I have and will not again build up a big stash, for the reasons I've mentioned. And also, I've realized I don't like the "urgency" or pressure of that waiting fabric.

I do, however, still believe in having on hand a supply of certain neutrals: white, black, some beige or tan, red. As for the rest, I've decided the fabric stores can store my stash until I need it.