View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Feather3

Originally Posted by AChristina View Post
Thank you all for your input. It's given me a great deal to think about. Our secretary lives next door to her in an apartment complex and has repeatedly reminded her of meetings and activities to find out if she is going to attend. I think my best recourse at this time is to just "Let It Go" as my granddaughters favorite song says and bring up the subject of by-laws at the next meeting. I'll send out a mass e-mail to all members to let them know ahead of time but won't say why we're doing this. My treasurer has been a godsend at helping me with meetings and workshops. She's loaded with ideas and suggestions. Is it possible for someone to hold 2 offices? LOL. As to me not knowing if there are by-laws, I've only been in office since January and our former president has been traveling. I never thought to ask for a printout of the by-laws and they have never been discussed at any previous meetings in the last 5 years since I've been member.
My husband belonged to an organization for 23 yrs...he no longer does....if your group has no by-laws then they should follow Roberts Rules of Order. Anyway most by-laws usually indicate that E-board members attend all meetings....if they can't they are required to let the E-Board know why they will be missing a meeting before the meeting takes place. If they miss 2 meetings in a row they are replaced. An E-Board meeting is held, issue discussed, a letter sent for face to face meeting with said person. Decision made by the E-Board. If person is let go of their office then at the next regular meeting members are told the said person in no longer holding that office & a new person will need to be voted in. Open nominations, take a vote.

Does your group have a 501C? If not then it is not Non-profit. Is your group taking down minutes? All non-profit groups are supposed to keep detailed minutes, member roll call, financial records & treasurer reports.

Often groups will also list how many meetings each member must attend to remain in the group thru out the year. If they miss too many for reasons other than health or work (also must notify E-Board member before meeting they will miss & why) then they are let go. Same as above...a E-board meeting is held, member discussed, face to face meeting, decision made.

Normally one person can not hold 2 E-Board offices. It's considered a violation of conflict.

It sounds like this person wants to belong to as many groups/organizations as she can to get freebies. Or her health really does get in the way. Either way if she can not fulfill her duties as an officer then she should be replaced, but permitted to remain a member if she choses to.