Old 03-07-2015, 06:59 AM
paintmejudy

Default Week 3, final clue

If your blocks are under- or over-sized see the end of this clue for how to finish your blocks.

Now is the time to decide if you are doing a controlled scrappy or a go-for-it scrappy. I went for a go-for-it, full-on scrappy. Naturally! ;-)

Full scrappy will take 48 pieces – cut 24 different strips that are 2-1/2” wide by 8-1/2” long. Cut 24 different strips that are 2-1/2” wide by 10-1/2” long. Cut 24 squares from your dark constant used in week 1 that measure 2-1/2” square. Save any small pieces of the 2-1/2” strips, I used anything from 5” to 12” long for the border.

Controlled scrappy – each block will have a different color. You will need a 2-1/2” wide strip WOF of 12 different fabrics. From each 2-1/2” WOF cut two 8-1/2” wide pieces. Also cut two 10-1/2” pieces. From the left over piece of dark constant from week 1, cut 24 squares that measure 2-1/2”. You will need to decide what you want for a border.

Whichever way you chose to proceed, the instructions will be the same.
Sew one 2-1/2” square onto EACH of the 10-1/2” strips. Press. Lay out your 8-1/2” block, put one 8-1/2” strip on either end of the block, sew, and press.

Take the 10-1/2” strips with the 2-1/2” square sewn on that now measure 12-1/2”. Place one strip on either side, putting the 2-1/2” square to line up as shown. Sew and press.

Sew these 12 blocks together, 3 blocks wide by 4 blocks long. Press. (I also looked at an alternate block placement with the lines facing into the center, but with only 3 wide, it looked strange. I think this placement would be nice if your rows had even numbers, 4 wide by 6 long would also be a nice size lap quilt.)

Cut 5 strips of your dark constant (or other fabric if you don’t want to use this dark fabric). piece as needed. Sew to the four sides of your quilt top.

Assemble your leftover pieces of 2-1/2” strips and sew together to make a large enough piece to go around your quilt.
Add more borders if wanted to make this larger.

Blocks too small or too large? Cut squares from your dark constant as explained below
If too small, instead of cutting your 2-1/2” wide strips at 8-1/2” and 10-1/2” long, make them the lengths of your block. For example if your block ended up being 8-1/4” square, cut your strips 8-1/4” and 10-1/4”. You small squares will need to be 2-1/4”.

If block is more than 8-1/2” square, you don’t need to trim down to 8-1/2”. Make your strips longer, however much longer needed. You will be able to use the 2-1/2” dark constant.

So, we are at an end already. Can’t wait to see your quilts. A couple days ago, I started working on another of this mystery, using all boy print fabrics and some plaids, and a medium tan in place of the light neutrals. I do so many girl quilts from donated florals and love to do something for the boys whenever possible.

And #10 mystery train is ready to pull out of the station on 3/28. Toot toot!
Attached Thumbnails 3-.jpg   3-b.jpg   3-c.jpg   3-d.jpg