Old 01-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by Joanieu
I know that machine quilters can really turn out a lot of quitls, but what about you hand quilters, how long does it take you to finish the quilt? I have been working on one and seems to take forever. My first real quilt has been put up in closet and still not finished (only because, I don't like it anymore an first kit). I started the one that was pieced 2 years ago and it has four 12 1/2" blocks plus sashing - Not sure of size, but I may have 1/4 of it done if that. I am just curious how long it takes you guys to finish a quilt. I have finished maybe 5 complete projects (the biggest one a baby quilt) in 3 years.
I sew at the speed of slow; this is both piecing with a machine and hand quilting. I am always amazed at how quickly everyone else seems to finish things. I think it just depends on the individual person and what they are comfortable working at. I'm like one of the other posters, it can take me 500-1000 hours to finish a queen to king size quilt. It's one of the reasons I'm learning to machine quilt - so I can actually get more quilts finished.

That said, if I'm just quilting straight lines I am rather quick. However, I rarely quilt in just straight lines. I find the more detailed my quilting is, the more I like it, and since quilting in circular motion (like flower petals) takes a lot more time, I can rarely finish a quilt in just a couple months.