View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 08:06 AM
letawellman

Originally Posted by bitchinstitchin View Post
Beginner? LOL, you make me want to cry, LOL. I've been LA quilting for over 10 years and can't do that! It is so very lovely! Thank you for posting it, very inspirational! Did you trapunto or double batt? If so, what did you use? Thanks.
If you've been LA'ing that long, I bet you are much better than you realize. Drafting this on paper first (see my earlier post in this thread about Lisa Calle's DVD's) using my LA rulers/templates helped me with the "vision" of the design. I would suggest that you give yourself this same challenge (pretend you're in my LA group - the criteria is in the first post in the thread) and just DO IT. I deliberately did the first one in contrasting thread so I could see where I needed to work the most on improvement. I have to tell you that I was very disappointed in myself with the first one. (Yeah, I'm an over-achiever.)

The first one only had one layer of batting, and used Aurifil 40wt thread, and bleached muslin fabric.
The second one had two layers of batting - bottom was 100% cotton, top was 95% silk/5% cotton. Fabric was just some plain bleached muslin, thread was "Allure" silk on the top, and "So Fine" in the bobbin.

I consider myself a beginner to whole-cloth; very experienced with panto's and meandering; and somewhere between for ruler/template work. I've had my LA for about 4 years now, and only started quilting for others in the past year or so. I guess I must be doing OK, as I have a handful of "repeat" customers. Since I also have a fulltime job, between my own quilts, and theirs, I have plenty to keep me busy.