View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 05:35 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
This is so funny to see this thread. I know there have been discussions before on this subject and was searching for the threads. And up this pops with Jan's knowledge just jumpin' out at me. Thanks, Jan. I always respect your answers of wisdom! Now to figure out the best way to do this. :-)
Coopah,
Decades ago I put up my first design wall and it was 8 ft. x 4 ft.. I used one panel of home insulation board - that light blue stuff from Lowes - and installed it with a toggle bolt screw in each corner. This size was most helpful, for me, in designing larger bed quilts as I could see virtually the whole length of what I made, (Eventually I went to an 8 x 8 set up using 2 panels.)

I covered the foam with a layer of cotton batting, attached on the back of the board with duct tape. Nowadays I'd probably use a bit of spray glue to help stick the batting to the front while I smoothed it to the back for the tape. The reason I use duct tape rather than masking tape is because I've found the masking tape eventually dries out and pulls free of the batting or board. The batting does need to be pulled somewhat taut so that it doesn't eventually droop. Flannel droops less IF it is applied so that the straight of grain is running up and down on the board/s.

If you don't have a larger enough space to use an 8' x 4' insulation board, you could also use the largest foam-core board from the office supply store. These are thinner, smaller, portable, and more easily stored.

Jan in VA