View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM
mea12

I didn't read the middle of this thread but try quilting 1/4" from the seam vs in it. Or, if your machine has a feather-stitch or a serpentine stitch or even a zig-zag, try going right over that seam...much easier. The "big stitch" or "utility stitch" as some call it can have great appeal also..it looks great on all types of quilts from vintage to modern. And a nice fluffy poly batt can be wonderful when tied! for your practice place-mats...its actually easier to do a pretty good sized piece and then cut them to size once you're done. Meandering is a large stipple and both of those are easiest to learn. The next easiest one to learn is the "e's and o's". I do agree if when you do a smallish project (baby or lap-sized) on your machine and its no fun then you probably won't like it more on a bigger machine...bc for smaller projects the limited space is not going to deter or interfere with your "fun quotient" like it might if you had a queen or king under there. In the end...do what makes you happy. The sandwiching process and binding is the part i dislike most but i do it and like you..continually looking for a "better" way to get it done!