View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 11:53 AM
auntnana

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
This is along the same line, but not about quilting: Did you know that in many states, now, that it is illegal to share seeds from your garden?? It is an arrestable, fineable crime to give seeds away, when heirloom seeds are a wonderful resource that the big seed companies are trying to shut down. I don't want GMO seeds to take over. Think it over; we are being handicapped on every side. There are few truly original quilt patterns around; most are variations on a theme.
Crazy, isn't it? I can understand if Monsanto comes out with a new patented corn they don't want you growing, saving, and handing out to everyone in the neighborhood. However, heirloom seeds have been passed from generations to generations. I am not by any means supporting big ag, however, I do also understand it isn't just about the money, it's about the prevention of agriterrorism. One nutso breeds a corn with a hidden pathogen, gives out seeds to 10 folks who gives those to 10 folks, etc. Next thing we know there is no safe corn left. Probably why I save my own seeds!

Just like the quilt pattern topic - if Burpee sells you a Big Boy tomato plant, you can't legally propagate that plant or seeds for resale as a Big Boy, but they can't legally stop you from selling the tomatoes off that plant at the farmer's market. You can't sell someone else's pattern but you can sell a quilt made from that pattern.