View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM
Weezy Rider

Originally Posted by AnnT View Post
I had this come up several months ago...not a quilt but a wedding dress. A friend's dtr is getting married and asked if I would make her dress. The dtr had seen a and tried on a gorgeous dress and her mom was trying to save money. I told her I wouldn't make an exact duplicate of the dress, I could do something similar but it really wasn't going to be any cheaper as it was like 6 layer skirt and lace overlay with beading. I told her IF she could find the fabric it was still going to cost her big $$ and as her dtr is a bit of a bridezilla (I didn't say THAT) and she loved the dress she tried on, I didn't think she'd be happy with anything I did. Long winded way of saying that unless I'm making a dress from a pattern, I won't make an exact duplicate of anything. And even then I usually tweak it a bit.
I caught hell from a designer once. I bought the pattern and tweaked it to my daughter's satisfaction for her wedding dress. Posted to a sewing forum and apparently the designer saw it . She was incensed that I took the shoulder pads out and adjusted the pattern, also for using a heavy fabric for an overskirt. However, I wasn't reselling, was for personal use, so I just ignored her.

Don't tell me something HAS TO look, worn, be used as you designed it. If your instructions or design is lacking, I'll simply work around it.

If I don't like darts, I'll remove them. I can draw a pattern for almost any kind of sleeve. Too bad. I'm not claiming the pattern or selling it. Personal use, one item.