View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 02:03 AM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Copyright infringement has been discussed here several times. Each has their own opinion and then there is the law.

Edited to add: I shouldn't admit this, but I can recreate a lot of patterns using EQ or graph paper....most quilters can. I make changes to them so that I am not using a direct copy of the pattern so that I am not guilty of copyright infringement. Very often I find that the block that is the center core of the pattern is in public domain. Am I breaking the law because I start with their idea but don't end up with it? Who knows? Hope not. I understand not mass producing a pattern, but making one and raffling it, or if someone falls in love with it, letting them reimburse you for your time and expenses should be okay.
I can't see how you are in violation. One person told me that it is not possible to copyright geometric shapes. If so, I am not sure how people can claim copyright. I suppose we should all study copyright.gov. (I think that is the address.)

I, too have found that with EQ I can take a picture and recreate the pattern--and since it is usually just squares, triangles, and rectangles, I don't feel like I'm stealing either.

If it is complicated, like a Judy Neiermeyer, then, no, I couldn't begin to do that kind of thing on EQ. (Maybe someone could, but I'm not good enough yet.)

Even that "wild and goosey" block that a famous quilter designed is basically available on EQ and you can just print it in the size you need as a paper pieced block. The ones that come on EQ6 have 2, 4 and 6 geese in exactly the same layout and hers had 3, but it's pretty much the same block--just the number of geese is different.

Here's the choices that EQ 6 has on the first page of choices: [ATTACH=CONFIG]515736[/ATTACH]

So,change away...even little things and I can't see how the other person can say you took her/his idea.
Attached Thumbnails geese-eq.jpg  

Last edited by justflyingin; 04-03-2015 at 02:07 AM.