View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 07:58 PM
AudreyB

Default How would you respond to this?

I am a quilt teacher and teach several classes a month. One of my students, who comes to many of my classes, is a good quilter and a very nice lady. She told me today that her friend wants to take my beginning quilting class---and she will come with her! She didn't ask if she could come with her friend, just told me that she would.

I don't need an assistant. Someone attending my class and not "taking" the class is a distraction not only to me but also to the students. My classes are small because of limited seating and I take care of every student.

She said her friend was shy and wouldn't know anyone in class. Most people in my classes don't know one another before class. I appreciate her kindness to her friend, but not the interference with my class.

How do I tell her, without offending her, that I don't want non-students in class. I don't want to lose her as a friend/student, and she didn't take the hint when I suggested her friend would be okay.

Sadly, this isn't the first time this has happened. It is the third, and it's been three different people. I don't understand the presumption of people, but mostly I don't know how to handle it.

Any suggestions?