Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
MadQuilter
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
I lived in Germany 4 yrs in 1970's & know the thrill of learning to figure out how much meat or cheese I wanted the butcher or his wife to cut me so I didn't look like a blundering idiot. They were used to Americans, so knew some English, which made it easier to converse.
My Mom worked in a bakery that had many American customers. One soldier pointed to the puff pastry and asked what it was. She translated perfectly: Air Bags. We still laugh about the cream-filled air bags.

But back on topic. I am struggeling with the quilting of a quilt right now. I wanted to do something special and my skills in that arena aren't special. SO I tried to do a fancy stitch in the ditch. It turned out JUST AWFUL. I had also never taken out quilting stitches before. - rule #1 go very very slowly.

Once I took out the bad stitching, I accepted the fact that I am a SID girl (or a MAD girl = meandering around ditch). The quilt may not be perfect and it may not be as special as I would like. But it is made from the heart and hope it will bring the recipient joy.