View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Annaquilts
Power Poster

I have a Innova 26 on a 12 foot frame. It is very light to handle. I have some medical issues that will only get worse and this LA was a perfect fit for me. The biggest quilts I do on it are about 120 in. x 120 in. DH or my DD load these for me.

If you look at a computerized machine the Handi Quilter Fusion 24 in. is a great option or Avante 18 in. (?) I found the fusion too heavy for me to do by hand only but the Avante is lighter but has a much smaller opening. To get the Innova computerized is significantly more expensive then getting a Handi Quilter Fusion computerized.

Take your time trying and testing many machines. I took several years. What I learned was that the opening of the long arm and the length of the table will determine the size of the patterns and the size of the quilt you can do on your machine. Do not buy a Longarm with a very small opening. You will almost immediately want another one with a bigger opening.

It is also important to have resources to help you with learning how to use a long arm. I did a significant amount of quilting on a sewing machine with a large harp opening but quilting on a frame still had a pretty big learning curve. Be prepared to spend a couple days a week practicing for about a year to get to where you want to be.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-23-2015 at 08:57 AM.