View Single Post
Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM
Susanmarie

Default Restoring a Japanese 15-clone

I've searched several threads within this forum for information on restoring paint on a Japanese 15-clone. I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered already but my searching just didn't yield anything. "Will the Real Singer-15 clone' thread seems to be mostly photos of clones and 'Can this Machine be Saved' thread seemed to deal with mostly older machines.

I could use advise on two topics of restoring a blue '50s Japanese 15-clone:

First of all, I would like to put a spoked balance wheel on it along with a repro handcrank. Both of these parts are black but I would like to repaint them a matching coat of blue. Has anyone done this before? I'm curious about how to prep and prime the parts and where to go to get paint matched and put into a spray can. What type of clear coat should I put on it?

Secondly,there are a few areas in which paint has been chipped off the head and I would like to try to repair/repaint these areas. I've used Glenn's tutorial about repairing/restoring the shellac surface of older machines and I guess I'm looking for some information for a similar repair for a mid-century machine which probably has a different type of paint and a different protecting coating.

I'm going to try and post a sized-down photo of the machine. It is a 3/4 size made by the Precision Sewing Machine Company, with an Ambassador badge.

If someone has documented restoring paint or repainting a Japanese machine from the 50s please point me to the thread. I'd rather not re-invent the wheel. If there isn't any information on something like this I will start by getting advice from an automobile store and I'll repost to this thread to let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Susan N.
Attached Thumbnails dpp_8264.jpg