View Single Post
Old 04-29-2015, 03:11 PM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Ah yes, Princess. I see what you mean. That's a very interesting method. Thanks!

Do you always use serious straps like in the tute or do you sometimes make your own handles out of plain old cloth, folded over? I can see how the straps could also be a design element. Definitely something to think about.

P.S. I posted a pic of how I finished the laptop tote bag, it's sinking lower into the que in case you want to see....
I usually go overboard on reinforcing the handles. The minimum sewing I do is the box, as you did when you revised your new tote. I often do make them from fabric, but I put a piece of batting or interfacing in to reinforce them. If I go around the whole tote with the handle, I will just put the interfacing in the portion that will be caught in the box sewing and in the handle portion, but not the part that goes around the tote. This cuts down on bulk. I really do find making the handles tedious. My sister makes purses for craft fairs and my cousins also make bags & totes, so we get the polypropylene strapping in bulk and split it. Having strapping on hand in lots of colors is great.
http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/webbing-and-hardware

I make lots of totes with painter's canvas drop cloths from Lowes or Home Depot. Pretty inexpensive. Don't get the plastic coated ones. Sounds like a good idea, but the plastic peels off after a while. You can use it on the outside or as the lining.