View Single Post
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Skylark53

I just started doing this about 2 years ago, and I was taking a class that was making a quilt about that size. Let me try to remember.

I'll talk about the machine at the end of this post.

Cutting mat, rotary cutter, and ruler I bought in a kit by Fiskars. That runs about $54.99 at JoAnn's - now half off. I also used a half off coupon when I bought it, so let's say $30 for that.

Scissors probably run about $8.

Books would depend, but I'd say $0 because most of that can be found online. Maybe $10 for a Craftsy pattern. I've also found craft books at Goodwill for super cheap, about $.50

Fabric and batting - for that size quilt, at a place like JoAnn's you are probably looking at $150+. At a quilt store, at least $200. And I'm really bad at estimating costs for fabric (ask me how I know...) so that's probably super conservative.

Thread - about $8.

Needles - about $5.

As for the machine - it varies greatly. I realized that the new machines I could afford would not likely last long and wouldn't be worth the investment, and the ones that would last would have run me probably $500 +. So I ended up going the vintage machine route. I happened to be very lucky and had my Grandmother's FW sitting in the closet. I got that all tuned up and ready to go (last servicing/use had been in the 1970's!) for $90. I eventually picked a nice 70's Kenmore that does zigzag and other stiches for $50 (and that came with a nice sewing basket!). So....for a machine you can spend just about $0 or thousands of dollars depending. For my purposes, I'm going to say $100 for a machine.

So, that's $311. And that's a very conservative estimate. I'd say you could easily be looking at $500. It's a very costly hobby! And that doesn't factor in the fabric addiction that will develop and the money sink that becomes!