View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 04:55 PM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
:oops: Honestly, and I am gonna do down in FLAMES for this, I can feel it... :oops:

Their store.
Their coupon.
Their rules.

They (the royal "They") ) create the rules. They print said rules on the coupons/advertisements/policy sheets.

They print the coupon. ONE gets mailed to each address in their data base (snail or email), or put into each newspaper. If (royal) you collect coupons from your friends and neighbors, create multiple email or mailing addresses to collect extra coupons, then (royal) you are the one creating a problem.

(Royal) you seem to be forgetting the POINT of an advertisement for a place of business IS TO DRAW IN CUSTOMERS. The purpose of the place of business itself, for the owner/investor is to MAKE A PROFIT.

How they make that profit is not part of this 'argument'....(as long as it isn't illegal, immoral or unethical)...

It is no different than your local grocery store ad that you peruse weekly. Or department store ad.

If you spent the better part of your (and I am going to drop the royal now, I think you get that I am not addressing this to any one person) parenting life teaching your children the difference between right and wrong, about how it is important to follow the rules, behave fairly and be honest, well, perhaps it's time to revisit those lessons.

The coupon states (and as I am not sticking to ONE store, I may be ad-lbbing) "ONE coupon PER customer PER day, not to be used on XXXXXX."

It doesn't say, sure, run outside, come back in; it doesn't say, piss off the cashier (and the customer behind you as you argue your case about using it on Sale items, or three at one transaction. Or ringing up one item per transaction, going through paying one at a time for a $3.99 --before discount--item.)

It doesn't state you HAVE TO BE ABLE to use the coupon.

You are all adults. You are intelligent enough to understand that it's designed to be a loss leader, not a gift to you. You are also (assuming you are reading this on the screen) literate, and can read the sale signs and not bring up something on sale to use the coupon on. (something being mis-signed or mis-placed is not part of my conversation)

It is designed to bring you into the store. Just as the Kleenex coupon cut out of the Sunday paper is designed to take $1 off one box, (of the size stated, not the size you choose to pick up)

The craft stores in the conversation above, carry something like 50,000 to 70,000 unique products. I have put sale signs up in two of the conversed about stores in my day, I can GUARANTEE you that there are tens of thousands of items that are NOT ON SALE at any given time.

The fact that you don't wish to purchase any of them is of no regard to the RULES printed clearly on the coupons.

As a corollary, (and I can feel this becoming a blog rave some day) there is as much complaining about the fact that discount store fabric quality stinks as there is about LQS fabric pricing is too high.

Think on it.

(running now, probably won't be allowed to show my face for a week once the $%$ hits the fan...)

:thumbup:
I think everyone is aware that coupons are supposed to get you into the store. However, the appearance of giving you a good "special" deal when in fact they aren't is what bothers me.