Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM
Medieval Masterworks

Default Can I use a more standard singer shuttle for my Kayser treadle machine?

So I recently came to acquire a very lovely Kayser Stuttgart sewing machine. Other than the damaged shuttle and a wrong insert plate it is perfectly functional and complete. I am working to refurbish it to functionality as I want a fully portable machine for my merchant booth (where there is often no electricity, frequently no water, and I am living out of a car).

I however know next to nothing about the machine other than how it works and how to keep it running. I got it from it's previous owner who told me that it was working about 20 years ago before being shoved into the closet until recently. According to her it was being often used for quilting before her forced retirement from the activity.

My question is how I could replace the unfortunately damaged shuttle, the screw is rusty and the spring is broken around the location where the tension screw holds it in place. Hopefully I can get a standard singer or wight model, but when I looked into the whole affair it looks as if I need one from the company that made the machine.

As most of my attempts to even find a similar machine online were fraught with floods and floods of Singers, and only a couple of relevant articles that didn't have any information about the shuttles, I feel a little stymied.

I would post more pictures of the machine, but my photos are a bit big for uploading.

Help would be appreciated, I would love to be able to use this machine to it's capacity for my business.
Attached Thumbnails img_0201.jpg