View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM
ThayerRags

We met the nicest people along our way, and enjoyed visiting with them. As a result, I have a new project now, setting up my Bernina 830 “parts machine” to treadle. It’s got a broken zigzag cam, but they’re available so I might have to get one.

We visited a fabric shop near Waco Texas that was owned and operated by a Faith-based community of folks. They sold both quilting and apparel fabrics, and gave sewing classes in a room adjoining the fabric shop. Half of the building was a separate business that manufactured canes and walking sticks. Wow, I’ve never seen so many walking sticks! The fabric sales area included racks of hand-made trousers and vests made by community folks and even by non-community people who had taken the classes. Maybe by selling a few items that they had learned how to sew was a way to recoup their class expense?

I peeked through the doorway into the sewing classroom and saw more than a half dozen machines setting on a large table. I recognized two of them as Bernina 830s, and inquired about them. Turns out that all of the machines on the table were Bernina 830s, and a couple of members of the community even had Bernina 830 treadle-operated machines at their homes. Being the treadle-nut that I am, I want to look into making my Bernina 830 a treadle-operated machine!

CD in Oklahoma