View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 06:45 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by Anna Bell View Post
What questions do I ask for this to result in a positive experience? My favorite are "Aunt Anna, I will love any quilt that you make and I will sleep under it." I have lost enthusiasm over most other requests from the self-imposed pressure. I would appreciate input on things that have worked for other quilters.

Thanks!
Anna
First, welcome to the Board! Hopefully we haven't discouraged you from ever making quilts for others--but also it's apparent that all of us have had requests that didn't work out real well, either. So your question is certainly a good one!
From your post, it's hard to tell if you want to make her a quilt or are basically stuck on how to tell her "no". Several others have given you the answer to saying "no"--I usually will site the cost of fabric and other supplies that they would need to make and also explain where their quilt may be in line with my other projects, and that ends the discussion rather fast.
BUT, if you want to make her a quilt, then I suggest you give her a couple of pattern choices (no more than 3) that you'd be willing to make, and then take her to a shop and have her purchase the fabric. And be sure to give her an estimate of how many weeks/months this might take. And if you do not do your own quilting, be sure to explain up front that it will be sent out to a long armer and give her the estimate on what it would cost. If she balks at all that, then next time you need to give her a gift, give her a quilt you've done and she'll love it.