View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 03:04 PM
sylvia776

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Want yet another opinion? I make 3 layers of flannel, all the same size - sometimes I mix in corduroy for top or bottom - and then sew together without batting (the center layer of flannel takes its place). You don't have to quilt X's through the squares, you don't have to be sure the batting is just in the center and not coming out to the edges. Also you get 3 layers to rag, which gives more fluff for the ragging.
I do the same. I also applique a double layer of hearts (in contrasting colours) onto the top flannel block before adding the other 2 layers. My middle layer in the blocks is always a contrasting colour to the top and bottom layers. (This gives a lovely variegated colour to the ragged edges when finished). When appliqueing the hearts onto the top layer, I do a row of straight stitching 5/8" in from the outside edge of the heart and then I clip around the hearts at 1/4" spacing. When the quilt is washed and tumble dried, the heart edges and the blocks all become beautifully ruffled.