View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 04:02 AM
mengler

Originally Posted by Alice PD View Post
I am experimenting with using glue instead of pins during the piecing process of my quilt. It is a mellon quilt. I lightly glue the outside edge of the seam, then stick the pieces of fabric together (not gluing near the actual sewing line - only along the outside edge of the piece) It works nicely, but I have noticed that as the glue dries (even though it is only a tiny bit of glue) it makes the outside edge of the sewn together pieces hard. My question is what happens after you have prepared the quilt to be quilted. As your needle goes along and hits those hard places, is your rhythm thrown off? If so, does this lead to jurky movements and lines? I was thinking about cutting the 1/16th to 1/8th inch glued area away before FMQ but am wondering if this might compromise the seams. I am still working on sample blocks before I actually start the real quilt. Have any of you noticed any trouble with the FMQ process (as it goes over the glued seams) when it comes to actually quilting the quilt?
I use a glue tip applicator bottle. It's about 2 ounces of glue with a teaspoon or so of water. The needle tips are BLUNT and can be changed to whatever size you like. It has a luer connector which means it screws on like a syringe needle but again is BLUNT. Works like a charm. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Bottle-Pla...item27dc5b6ea6
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg