View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Tygress

No one has mentioned it because it is more specialty, but I have a Silhouette Cameo. It isn't as much for the strips and squares as it is for appliqué shapes, but it is computer controlled and you can cut any shape and any size (up to 12" x 24") as long as you have attached the fabric to some sort of interfacing to give it enough thickness for the blade to cut through. (NO DIES. You download shapes or design them yourself using the software that is included.) I have it because of paper crafting, but I have used it for making identical shapes for things like doll-eyes and appliqués for quilts (found an adorable baby-pin quilt and did NOT want to cut those out by hand...). I am planning some quilted wall art to look like my dogs, and I plan to use the machine to cut the shapes for the appliqués out with that. Would it be worth it to buy the machine for most quilters? It's $250, so no. But I have been using it for almost two years for paper crafting continually and have gotten more than my money out of it. The appliqué is just a new use I have found for it.