Old 10-04-2015, 02:00 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I'd choose a Japanese machine over a Touch N Sew or a 400/500 series Singer just for the ease of use. I don't have patience for fiddly machines. Cari
Cari, 400 and 500 aren't terribly fiddly. I like them be cause they are simple. The simpler of the series are the 403, 503 and 603 but do take disks for all the variety stitches including zz. The Singer 600 and 603 still have metal gears and can be found fairly cheap since T&S have bad reputations. If you do get one get a manual and follow it and it won't have such a bad reputation with you. There are other T&S machines but they do have plastic gears. That isn't the end of the world since the gears can be changed out. Some have rubber teeth. Those can be changed out, too. Some people have those machines and love them. They are inexpensive so why not try one out. The other good thing is that there is repair information if you google. There are some machines with the little froggy (328) eye on them. These are inexpensive, very easy to use and maintain. The 319 & 306 are very cool. (The 206 is cool too but doesn't do anything other than zz.)

That said I've had some European machines and loved them. They are a bit more money and a bit more intricate. There are some vintage Viking machines out there very cheap but they have a cam stack that tends to die. Other European machines have nylon gears and I have destroyed a few of gears by sewing.... I think the gears go instead of something else when there is too much stress. Some of us need an industrial machine...

Cari is right the Japanese machines are like tanks and easy to use. Some have neat sets of cams. Some have cam stacks. Check to make sure the camstack isn't cracked if it is plastic. There are some Kenmore's that are very much worth having. BUT a lot of people don't like the needle on the left. I think it depends on what you are going to use the machine for. If all you do is use it for zz or decorative stitches you won't know the difference. If you are piecing a quilt block it will be hard to sew a 1/4 in seam unless it has a centered needle. Then there are some Japanese machines that have a selection of left, center or right for the needle position. If you get a Kenmore find an old one. Heavy but more unique stitches IMHO. Some of the later ones get stuck in reverse but you might get lucky and find a very cool machine. Then there are some old White machines made like tanks, too. Very nice machines! We haven't begun to cover all the neat old zz machines.