Old 10-04-2015, 05:15 AM
Mickey2

Lovelyl, what else do you look for in a vintage model? For me it is the durable and dependable qualities. I like the all metal gears from the 50s and earlier, but I have to admit my favorite at the moment actually has a plastic gear and there has been no problem with it in 50+ years. All the models with cams have a blanket stitch, it shouldn't be a difficult requirement. I like a quiet running machine, but regarding noise I'm fine with most models when they are cleaned and lubricated. I don't do much top speed sewing, except for my old 201 which isn't that fast. I like the look of some older machines too, but some of the favorite models look at best intersting if not slightly ugly LOL (Singer 401!). I am convinced Bernina 500 and 700 numbers would be much more popular if it came in a different color, but they are superb stitchers in my experience. To be called vintage there aren't very strict rules, but for me the 70's is sort of the last decade for me, preferably earlier. I usually look a domestic machines too, a few industrials have cought my interest, but some of them are large and heavy like nothing else (a Pfaff 30 comes off as a medium weight in comparison). There are lots of nice new machines too, but they aren't vintage
:- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-04-2015 at 05:20 AM.