View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 AM
mtpockets1

I too love using my serger for all my quilts. I use 4 threads because I like the double straight stitch as extra security. When directing seaming blocks together, you do have to watch but I don't think that is much different from any other machine. I have a Babylock Evolve and an industrial serger and favor the industrial by far. If you have the room for a 48" table and the muscle to bring it too the right spot that is the machine I would suggest. I did buy the industrial machine off Craigslist for $400 and added a Servo motor for another $200 which is a far cry from what I paid for the Babylock and would never look back! Not much goes wrong with either machine but I have so much more versatility with the industrial for far less money. I have had to bring it in once in four years but other then that no problems. I use it for curtains, prewashing fabric, doll mattress for a baby buggy and blankets too match, edging wool blankets, finishing the edges of awnings for my husband's camper, upholstery work and the list goes on and on! I have 6 industrial machines and am happy with each and everyone of them but do have 1/3 of our basement as one of my sewing rooms. They are all vintage machines and ranged in price from $100-$400 plus the servo motors but they do so much more then the home machines if you have the room. Just finished the Double Irish Chain quilt top all of which was done on the serger. I also have a longarm machine and only have problems with going over the seams once in a while which can happen with straight stitched seams too. Wouldn't finish my quilts any other way! Good luck on your decision.