View Single Post
Old 11-15-2015, 03:24 AM
piepatch

Default Banana Nut Bread

I am not sure if I have posted this before, but because it is the time of year when we are baking more, I will post it now. It is made with buttermilk and very moist and tasty. It is a particular family favorite and goes over really well at pot lucks and in gift baskets.

Banana Walnut Bread

INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup mashed bananas
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 3/4 cups chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray one 9"x5" loaf pan with non-stick spray coating.

2. In medium bowl, blend together the eggs, buttermilk, oil and bananas.

3. Sift into a large mixing bowl : the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt, and blend Add banana mixture and blend well, but do not over mix ! Stir in pecans.

4. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. If the top begins to brown too fast, cover with foil. ( I usually cover the last 20 minutes ).

NOTE: I also bake this in a pan that holds 8 mini loaves, and the cook time is approx. 30 minutes. I spray the pan with Pam before pouring in the batter. I bake this more often in the mini loaf pan, especially over the holidays. The small individual loaves are very nice to add to a gift basket, and they cook faster ! The small pans are sometimes hard to find, but are more easily found around the holidays. To find them online, search for "8 cup mini loaf pan ".