View Single Post
Old 11-29-2015, 12:57 PM
Rodney

Default What is your Holy Grail?

Joe just mentioned he would like to find a Singer 201 in a bentwood case with the knee bar for his wife.
That's what prompted this thread. It does seem like we had a similar thread for quest items a while ago but things change. We fill holes in our collections or learn about something new that we now must have.

Here's a few of mine:
1) This I've been wanting for a while. It's not even a machine. The Singer #42 Art Deco sewing desk. Preferably the walnut version. That's my biggest want. I've had to let a few slide by due to finances but eventually the right one will show up.
2) An early New Home, especially with the flat tension on top. I just think they're beautiful. They have great lines to me.
3) An early electric machine, preferably original with a swing away Hamilton Beach motor.
4) This one isn't a machine either. There was an early Hamilton Beach motor on a separate cast iron stand that you could sit next to a machine to run it. One of those would be great. I want my collection to show some of the evolution of the modern electric machine.
5) An early foot-shaped foot controller.
6) An early Franklin with the Scarab pattern. I just think it's a neat decal design and it's a good representation of our nation's fascination with all things Egyptian back then. I like it far better than Singer's Sphinx pattern.
7) An early Free with the Peacock pattern decals. I love Art Nouveau designs too.

I have other machines and items I want but those are some of the bigger holes in my collection. None of them are particularly rare, it's more a matter of having the money to buy them when they do show up.

MacyBaby helped me fill one quest item earlier this year. She gave me a Montgomery Wards (National) Streamliner a while back. I'm a bit nuts when it comes to anything Art Deco. This machine is a great example of Art Deco style, it's also one of the first (maybe the first?) machines to have a hinged nose cover with a light inside. The machine also filled my want for a turtle back motor machine. MacyBaby also just confirmed some attachments I was looking at on Ebay would fit it. They should be in the mail soon.
Thank You Macybaby!

So, what are your latest sewing machine related quest items?
Rodney